About my Blog

But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain

Thursday, July 16, 2009

"It's MY body and I'll overeat if I want to!"

Ugh. You would just not believe how gross I felt this morning.

I'm guessing you probably have a good idea why. You don't know the particulars, but I think you know what happened around here last night!

Actually, I don't think it was last night's 1/2 bag of lite, microwave popcorn and the bowl of cereal that were really the problem ~ though that together with the bloating that often heralds the imminent arrival of "THAT" time of the month were probably mostly responsible for the balloon-like feeling in my gut today.

No, my problem yesterday was much more likely the whole day's worth of overeating and specifically, the NOT REALLY CARING and CLAIMING IT WAS ALL MY CYCLE'S FAULT. Much more serious, underlying issues.

But mostly the not caring.

I was rebellious.

I FELT rebellious. "It's my body and I'll die if I want to ~ overstuffing it with gross food combinations and unhealthy, unnecessary snacks."

It's so easy to buy into this world's philosophy that self is, and should be, of ultimate importance in any and all circumstances and decisions. We are naturally selfish and the slide into self-worship is either so slow and gradual or so slick and fast that we just don't even notice. And it's also very easy to blame God for creating us this way. You know, He really brought this on Himself!

It's SO easy to play that card. "God made me this way and gave me free will, so it's HIS fault that I'm choosing myself over anything else." As someone who's been a professing, born-again Christian for essentially my whole life, I'm ashamed to admit even I have these thoughts from time to time. It's so easy to forget all that we have ~ our kids, our bodies, our talents, our homes, our LIVES ~ have been loaned to us for only a time, and for the specific purpose of glorifying God.

In the Bible study I'm currently working through with my wonderful, "real life" friend Alicia and also hosting online on my ValleyGirl blog, we're learning all about the archaic concept of modesty. I don't think I've ever thought of modesty as pertaining to anything but the way we dress, but you don't really have to think very long about the words "modesty" and "moderation" to come to the conclusion that they have the same root.

So what are the principles that should determine and govern lives seeking to be modest in dress, modest in speech, modest in eating habits, et cetera?
  • The principle of Lordship: Jesus is Lord over all.
  • The principle of citizenship: If you’re a child of God, you belong to a different kingdom; you don’t belong to this world.
  • The principle of ownership: Your body is not your own; it belongs to God once you’re a child of God.
  • The principle of stewardship: God has entrusted some things to you, like a body. He’s entrusted beauty to you, and you have to use that in ways that are pleasing to the Lord.
Paul says to the Corinthians, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." {1 Corinthians 6:19-20}

We need to remember we were paid for by the blood of Christ. Everything we do should be a reflection of our gratitude and praise as a result ~ even how we eat. Yes, it's extremely difficult to comprehend and live this way, and yes, it's actually impossible, but our efforts are still required. Our goals should never waver, despite our fallen, sinful nature and the failures that come as a result.

God gave us the wonderful gift of free will. Rather than use it to fulfil my own selfish desires, I really do want to use that gift to honour Him.



5 comments:

WriterMarie said...

I had a day like that last week! Thank you for reminding us that we need to take care of the bodies that God gave us!

TuTu's Bliss said...

Moderation has never been my strong point but hearing it put like this I might skip that Caramel Mochiata after all. Thanks, Jen

Brooke said...

i often confuse my body being a temple for God, for vanity. "well God wants me to be healthy, which must mean a size 2/4 pant..."

so basically its an excuse i use to be vain.

Tammy said...

Great post Tammi!

Mesha said...

hey, i wrote a blog about that "free will" the other day too. i'm just catching up on my list and i'm behind on reading. :(

thanks for bringing it full circle and back to "us being Christ's." it's easy to forget sometimes that this life we live is not "our own." I love your heart for the Lord Tammi, it encourages me and spurs me on.

i don't know if you watch the biggest loser or not, but Kristin Steede from the most recent season wrote a blog the other day with the "Stop, Drop and Roll" theory of avoiding overeating during "THAT" time of the month. :)

http://www.kristinsteede.com/blog/?p=167