About my Blog

But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shrinking Update – 4/29/09

I wasn’t expecting it, really. As I stood upon that blessed little digital instrument of measurement, I felt my tear ducts beginning to agitate. I just knew I was going to see failure.

I had already begun to condole myself with the simple fact that it has been a rough week. Doing my best to choke back the disappointment, I hopelessly looked down at my feet…

Wait a minute.. What?? Could it be???

I rushed to my notebook, where I record my weight each week, just to be sure. My mind had to be deceiving me…

No, not this time... It’s really true.

I’m down TWO POUNDS!!

I honestly think this week was about perseverance for me.

Hubby was out of town. I had a sick kid at the start of the week, and I was/am battling illness as well. (Sinus issues and a UTI… what a combo, right?!?) I had every reason to give up. I *so* wanted to say, “Well this week’s gonna stink anyway, why bother with the whole moderation thing?”

But I didn’t. I pressed on.

Oh, I wanted to quit… or at least hit “pause” for this week, and wallow a bit. Then I got this little message (series of messages) from a PRECIOUS friend via Twitter.

"You are a force. A warrior - even when you don't feel like one. Allow Him to power your day and bless your struggle."

"May He move mightily on your behalf today! Holding up your arms this morning..."

How could I give up so easily after READING THAT?!?!

The answer is I couldn’t. I pressed on… toward the goal.

The result?

TWO POUNDS GONE!

Two may not seem like much, when you hold it up against the FIFTY that I want to lose… but it’s progress. Forward moving, intentional, habit-breaking progress toward Becoming a Woman of Moderation.

And you know what?

I’ll take it!

Not that I have already obtained all this,

or have already been made perfect,

but I press on to take hold of that

for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

(Sisters), I do not consider myself yet

to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do:

Forgetting what is behind

and straining toward what is ahead,

I press on toward the goal to win the prize

for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

(Philippians 3:12-14)

1 comments:

tammi said...

Pressing on ~ that is indeed the key!! It is SO-O-O easy to give up when things aren't running as smoothly as we'd like, but then we're opening up the door and ushering in the sin that's crouching there all the time. It's bad enough when we have a weak moment and let it get its foot in there!!

Keep pressing on, Susanne! Progress is the goal, not perfection!