About my Blog

But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain

Friday, April 17, 2009

Spurring On...

One of my all time favorite verses of scripture is Hebrews 10:24…

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.

It really is one of the main purposes of this blog. To encourage, inspire, and hold (me) accountable.

Last night, while having coffee with two precious friends (I guess you could call them my IRL accountability partners) we vented our disappointment with our weight loss efforts. One friend said, “What can we do? We need to do something to SPUR EACH OTHER ON.”

After much more discussion on the matter, we all agreed that our problem is NOT in KNOWING what to do, but actually FOLLOWING THROUGH with it. Each of the three of us seem to be “all or nothing” type girls… and we seem to give up too quickly.

This past week, while visiting with my Mom, I found a brilliant reminder on her refrigerator. Two years ago, she and I attended a Living Proof Live event in Columbia, SC. During that weekend, Beth Moore illuminated several verses in the book of James for us. These in particular:

Count it all joy, my brothers,when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of our faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)

Steadfastness. Could that be my issue?

Dictionary.com defines “steadfastness” this way:

firm in purpose, resolution, faith, attachment, etc., as a person: a steadfast friend

I am quick to make resolutions, and statements of faith, but am I FIRM IN THEM??

My Dad and I were discussing something similar the other day. He said (very lovingly) that my generation is one of “instants”. Instant messaging, microwaves, and drive-thrus. We don’t want to wait for anything. And we especially don’t want to “wrestle” with things.

But isn’t that what these verses are all about? PERSERVERING through trials, could be another way of saying “wrestling with the struggles of life”. For me, weight-loss, finances, and other areas of self discipline are all a part of these struggles.

I often feel like a failure, or a fake, because I haven’t “mastered” this stuff. I don’t have it all together and it’s painfully obvious. There have even been instances when I’ve considered quitting blogging altogether because of feelings of inadequacy and concerns over being inauthentic. (I certainly would have NEVER considered the possibility of co-authoring yet ANOTHER blog! What?!?! Are you CRAZY? - Obviously God had other plans…)

But that reminder… that brilliantly crafted graphic representation of Beth Moore’s Columbia Commissioning, sitting so prominently on my Mama’s fridge, was EXACTLY what I needed.

(Thanks again, Maggie, for this beautiful interpretation!)

With every struggle, every trial, every “wrestling match” He is proving that I am NOT a fake. He is moving, he is working. He is producing “steadfastness” in my life.

I am his MASTERPIECE and He has special plans and a specific purpose for my life.

This has completely encouraged me, to keep on keepin’ on and give God ALL THE GLORY!!

And hopefully, my journey will inspire you to do the same.

SPURRING EACH OTHER ON… that’s what it’s all about!

1 comments:

tammi said...

YES! AWESOME post, Susanne!!!! So encouraging! We DON'T have to "have it all together" ~ the point is we persevere!!! Continuing on THROUGH trials and failures brings not only results, but inspiration to other people who've given up because they don't feel qualified or "together" enough.