Friday, January 8, 2010

Rethinking my shrink.

Why is rethinking my shrinking strategies a CONSTANT necessity?! I hate that! You discover a plan that works GREAT, but suddenly, without warning or cause, it doesn't anymore! Very annoying.

I achieved great success following the eating plan from the "Becoming a Woman of Moderation" Bible study that kicked off this blog. I followed the plan faithfully for the entire 8-week study, and by the time it ended at the beginning of June, I'd lost just over 16 lbs. I've continued to lose fairly steadily since then, but at a SIGNIFICANTLY slower pace. And why is my pace slower? Because I abandoned the plan once summer was in full swing and just never went back to it.

I meant to once school started again in September, but somehow, it seemed harder than it had in spring. And I just couldn't get myself to NOT eat. Why is motivation so dang fickle?!

I guess because we're under the impressiong that it's a feeling. Everyone knows emotions are fleeting and constantly changing ~ especially women's emotions! Waiting to FEEL motivated is often the fatal flaw in weight-loss strategies or any other goal-setting exercise. If we base motivation on feelings, it will always only be temporary ~ and often won't be there at all, if you're anything like me!!

Motivation must be a decision. If we base motivation on knowledge, and decide to persevere regardless of how we feel, that's when we'll continually experience success.

So here I sit, starting off yet another year heavier than I'd like to be, and setting some goals for myself. I've got the weight goals in place, but HOW TO GET THERE is a bit trickier!!

  1. I don't remember where I wrote it ~ whether here on the blog or in an email to someone ~ but one of my babysteps is that I want to feel hungry at least twice a day. Before I eat lunch and supper, I want my stomach to have been growling so I'll know I actually need to eat. So far since we got home from Christmas-ing in The Big City, I've succeeded with this.

  2. I also need to eliminate routine evening snacking. Emphasis on the "ROUTINE." This doesn't mean that I won't allow myself to EVER eat in the evenings, but normal evenings at home should NOT be spent eating! This might mean virtually eliminating TV from my habits as well, since I can't seem to watch TV without eating.

  3. Also, I need to improve my water consumption. This is a strange thing for me to have to specifically make a goal because for most of my adult life, I've easily consumed 1-2 litres/quarts per day in addition to what I drink at mealtimes. I've noticed over the last several months though, that I've been brewing bigger and bigger pots of coffee in the morning and that I sooner pour myself a cup several times throughout the day than drink water. I need to get back to just two cups of coffee in the morning and then water for the rest of the day.

  4. Exercise remains a challenge and I haven't quite decided what I want to do about it. I SAY I want to do my Fat-Burning Pilates video (the only cardio workout video I own) on days when I can't or don't walk outdoors, but I have yet to actually DO that. I just don't like exercising!! I LOVE walking and jogging, but that obviously has to do more with enjoying the solititude and being outside (even at -40!) than with exercise. Does anyone have any suggestions for short cardio workouts, like 10-15 minutes in length?

    Since beginning this post, I've checked out the 10-Minute Solutions series and they look interesting. Shorter workouts are MUCH more appealing and far more likely to happen!! I think a couple of these will be my reward for successfully meeting my 8-pound goal for this current Sisterhood challenge.
Okay, I think that's enough babysteps for this challenge!! Any more and I'll give up before I even start trying!

Image from ClipArtOf.com

3 comments:

Brooke said...

this winter i've noticed myself drinking more coffee too - it became habit when i got a cold and my throat was sore. now its...well just a habit. this week, i started getting a glass of water at the same time as my coffee and its helped a lot.

so...what have you done for exercise today???

~Mendie~ said...

It is hard to get back on track...but when you start to feel like you are going to stray, stop and think if it is worth it. That is what I need to work on this year.

It helps to write these things down...keep them fresh in our minds! You can do this in 2010! We can do this!

TammyIsBlessed said...

I recommend the 30 Day Shred! I think it's only about $12 on Amazon. And if you want it to be about 15 mins instead of 20, just do 2 of the circuits instead of all 3.

Use small or no weights to start if you need to.